ASSIGNMENT2 - Less is More

ASSIGNMENT2 - Less is More

Yay! I'm finally done with my confirmed pictogram - VENDING MACHINE!!

I did a pictogram on counselling room initially (can be seen in previous entry on this assignment), however, I feel that it was not quite good and the feedback from peers were not too positive so I decided to change and decided to abstract a vending machine! =)

Photo 0

So here's a picture of a vending machine got from the internet and I used this as my photo 0 in my abstraction process.

Abstraction Process

Here's my abstraction process!

Description:
In abstraction 1, I merely developed the original photo into a simpler picture, removing the small little details as well as the "Coca Cola" words.
In abstraction 2, I removed the designs on the vending machine which I deemed would not be helpful in people's understanding of a vending machine at first look.
From abstraction 2 to 3, it changes from a 3-D object to just 2-D. Not only the machine itself, the black box at the bottom (the place where we collect the can drink) is also developed into 2-D form.
Abstraction 4 is much simpler than 3 because I removed the details on the right hand side of the machine, leaving only the drinks selection buttons since I believe that helps people to identify the object more easily. I also changed the background to black as it brings out the buttons and the shape of the can more, which might aid people in their understanding of the pictogram.
Lastly, in abstraction 5, I decided to do without the rectangular basic shape of the vending machine by replacing it with the shape of the can and retaining the key details of a vending machine.

After the whole abstraction process, I decided to choose picture number 4 because it is simpler and it retains the information of a vending machine. =))

 
Decided pictogram
After choosing, I thought it might be good to have 2 different backgrounds since different directional signs use different backgrounds and styles. 

Reflections:
I learned that the topic "Less is More" means alot!! And by  abstracting an object and still allowing people to know what it is at one look, the most important factor is.......

Retaining the MOST significant and recognisable details of the object! =)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home